Friday 11 March 2011

So, I'm a Korea Blog writer!

Life was pretty hectic for a while, but over the last couple weeks I've been organising everything so I'd have more time to do the things I really like, blogging, for example.

Having been chosen as a blogger for The Korea Blog also played a big part in it, I have to admit, since it sort of compels me to become more active than before. I was so glad to be chosen that I told everybody about it, hahaha. So, now, I really have to put some effort into this.

(By the way, if you want to check out all the folks who made the cut, go here!)

To start this whole thing, I'm posting something that was already seen on my old blog, The Annotated Life. The original post dates back to early 2010, when I was still in the beginning of my obsession/passion for Korea. Even though it's not 2010 and the article I refer to in the text doesn't make much sense anymore, I really like this post because it kinda shows a bit how excited I was to be discovering such a rich culture for the first time.

So, here it goes!

Seoul: a city to visit in 2010, according to The NY Times
(originally posted on January 12, 2010)

 

I guess I haven't talked about my obsession with Korea in here, have I? Well, that's pretty much it: ever since I came to London, I kind of fell in love with it, a country I had never given too much thought before. Yeah, I know it does sound bad, but I'm really trying to redeem myself: I've been reading about its culture and habits, as well as getting started on Korean literature. Of course, I'm also looking for a place that teaches the language and have already begun planning a trip to the place in July (more on that will follow, surely). I subscribed to many Korean-related blogs, too, and it was in one of them, Ask a Korean, that I found out that Seoul, the capital city, was selected as one of the 31 places to visit in 2010. Not only this, but they were voted #3! Pretty cool, huh? Here's what the newspaper had to say:

“Forget Tokyo. Design aficionados are now heading to Seoul.
They have been drawn by the Korean capital's glammed-up cafes and restaurants, immaculate art galleries and monumental fashion palaces like the sprawling outpost of Milan’s 10 Corso Como and the widely noted Ann Demeulemeester store — an avant-garde Chia Pet covered in vegetation.
And now Seoul, under its design-obsessed mayor, Oh Se-hoon, is the 2010 World Design Capital. The title, bestowed by a prominent council of industrial designers, means a year's worth of design parties, exhibitions, conferences and other revelries. Most are still being planned (go to wdc2010.seoul.go.kr for updates). A highlight will no doubt be the third annual Seoul Design Fair (Sept. 17 to Oct. 7), the city's answer to the design weeks in Milan and New York, which last year drew 2.5 million people and featured a cavalcade of events under two enormous inflatable structures set up at the city's Olympic stadium. — Aric Chen”


 

True enough, I'm not a design aficionada at all, but I'm pretty sure I can find other interesting things to do and places to visit (which, in this case, means that I could actually go to Seoul in any year I feel like, not particularly this one).

Interesting fact: a comment on the post I mentioned above led me to discover that, for some people, Seoul is actually quite a bit disappointing. =( Sad, but I'll just refer to a quote by Rainer Maria Rilke that I recently found: “If your everyday life seems poor, don't blame it; blame yourself; admit to yourself that you are not enough of a poet to call forth its riches; because for the creator there is no poverty and no indifferent place.”

 

Oh, and another list in which Korea appears: the world’s strangest festivals mentions Boryeong, a sort of mud party that happens every July.

Something extra: nice little Lonely Planet video on Korea:http://www.lonelyplanet.com/south-korea#video-ltv-369E92E845CA0F25. The ending is the best part, actually; “say hello to kimchi (…). You'll get used to it”. Yay!

 

*All pictures in this post were definitely NOT taken by me (surprise, surprise), but come from the Lonely Planet website. Check their South Korea page by clicking HERE.


Check out more posts from this collaboration HERE.
Check out the other collaborators' blogs here.
Check out The Korea Blog!

Originally published here.

1 comment:

  1. Aciloc 150mg Tablet dose is an antacid managed to lessen the measure of acid creation in the stomach. It viably treats the digestive system and stomach ulcers. Aciloc has a place with the class of medications known as histamine-2 blockers. It likewise controls conditions, for example, gastroesophageal reflux disease and Zollinger-Ellison disorder, heartburn, acidity, peptic ulcer, and that's just the beginning.

    ReplyDelete